Lesson 12 - Week of November 5
- "CEOs are hired for their intellect and business expertise - and fired for a lack of emotional intelligence." - Daniel Goleman
- "Emotional intelligence is a different way of being smart. It includes knowing what your feelings are and using your feelings to make good decisions in life. It's being able to manage distressing moods well and control impulses. It's being motivated and remaining hopeful and optimistic when you have setbacks in working toward goals. It's empathy; knowing what the people around you are feeling. And it's social skill - getting along well with other people, managing emotions in relationships, being able to persuade or lead others." - J. O'Neill
Questions for Discussion and/or Journaling:
Social Questions: Who Are You Around People?
- What types of people do you enjoy spending time with? Why do you enjoy those specific qualities in people? Do you have many of those same qualities? Do you have many friends who have the qualities you just described? Why or why not?
- Do you seek out people who are similar or different from you? Why is that?
- How many close friends do you want to have? Why that number?
- What are two of your most favorite activities that you enjoy doing with others?
- Where have you met most of the friends you currently have? What can you learn about yourself by looking at where you met those friends? Why are you still friends with those individuals?
- How do you handle disagreements with others? How do you want others to behave when there's a disagreement? Do you want to behave similarly?
- In what three situations do you find it difficult to tell the truth? What are you afraid might happen if you told the truth in those situations?
- In what three situations do you feel the most free to be totally honest and authentic? What is it about those situations that encourage your honesty?
- What qualities do you dislike in others? Which of those qualities do you yourself have? Do you judge yourself harshly for having those qualities?
- What qualities do you envy in others? Why do you want to have those qualities? What specific difference would it make to your life?
- What kind of impression do you try to make on others? What specific things do you say or do to make this impressions? Are there any specific people or groups you do this with more often? Why those particular people or groups?
- Whose approval do you seek the most? Why that person? If you don't feel that you already have their approval, what would change for you if you did? If you never get their approval, how would you feel?
- Do you see any patterns to the answers you gave above? If so, what is the pattern?
Questions from: http://selfcreation.com/self-awareness/social-questions.htm
Teacher Survey - Lesson 12 - Week of November 5
Teachers: After showing these videos to your students, please take the survey. Thank you.